Tuesday, December 18, 2007

A Voice in the Desert

These few days I was facing some real hard questions. Recently my church organized a few days of Healing & Evangelistic services. Wow, what can I say, the hall was full and packed with people. The services end up quite late due to long sermons and spiritual ministering.

I am quite disturb by the way this particular speaker share the Word of God. It seems that she allegorize the Word of God a little too far from the context, and eisegesis rather than exegesis. But what you know, the crowd loves it! People giving testimonies that the presence of God was so strong, and they were healed in many way (spiritual & physical).

As a Bible School student, I was trained to exegete the Word of God and allow the Word of God to speak from Itself. Now, I was wondering what has really happen in the service. After discussing with some of the church members and doing some deep deep meditation, I come to a rather shallow conclusion.

I think God may use many channel to help His people. However, I may foresee that God will discipline His people using many ways as well. I am concern that the people in my local church starting to chase after the so called "manifestation of the Spirit" rather than God Himself. It is the responsible of people to make decision for themselves. We cannot blame God or anybody else if one day, our local church members join some cults or heretic teaching because we expose themselves to such teachings without prior information.

Anyway, people are indeed incomplete and have many weaknesses. I too are weak and incompetent in many ways. Who am I to challenge a "Great Evangelist" who prepare the people of God for the blessing of the year? I can only be a voice in the desert, preparing the way for the truth, continue to articulate and voicing my concern in the church.

I agree that we cannot keep our members in a well, keeping them away from different teachings, trend and movement in the world, but we got to teach them well, help them to be grounded in the truth.

Well, God is still in control even though things are not right. I must learn to lean on God and allow His creative plan to shock me again and again. He is really almighty. You got to know Him more by reading His Words.

No comments: