Monday, August 3, 2009

Being relevant to the society

This few weeks, the word "Relevance" has been ringing in my ears. Every where I went, I found this word appear. Even in my small group, I began to share with my college members how the youth culture has developed and how far the church is away from engaging the culture.

I understand that being relevant does involve risks, and there is no fine border line between relevance and worldly. All I could see is that if we continue to reach out to the youth with our traditional method, we might eventually become another Europe, loosing the generation.

The whole cycle of postmodernism has already begun whether we like it or not. I see no point in defending the "methodology" of reaching youth, or pointing fingers on any party that does not support the idea.

As this age has begun, we have to admit the fact that youth today is different from youth 5 years ago. If we are not able to break from the traditional perspectives, we are in danger of not being relevant to the people we are trying reaching.

However, there are the group who try to be relevant till losing their own identity. They are well blend into the society, but at risk of losing the very call of being set apart for.

It is never an easy task to be spiritually set apart and culturally relevant. Yet, I see no excuse for not risking for God. I remember once my lecture in Bible school said, "if every one plays clean and don't want to get dirty, who will be the hand of God in the dark and dirty world?"

I will take the challenge to exploring further, how a Spirit-driven person should engage the society, and how God can lead us to be spiritually set apart yet culturally relevant. God please guide.

No comments: