Friday, June 27, 2008

Reflecting My Journey as the Student Council President in BCM

Last Wednesday was my college's Student Council Annual General Meeting. We elected the new president and the new board of Student Council for the year 2008/09. First of all, congratulation to the new president, M. C. and the rest of the elected body. This board is indeed an opportunity for you to serve in another capacity. Take it with all your heart as it will reflect your ministry philosophy in the future.

After the election, I began to reflect my term as the Student Council president. Well, I can just say I learned some hard truths in life. There were high and low times as a president of the student body. Just as I learn to lead, I also learn to obey and trust God's people.

After a year of presidential, I have to admit I am so limited and imature in many ways. I thought I can do many things, but actually I can't. I realize there are things beyond our grasp, and we could hardly control. I thought I can challenge the student to be motivated about school's activities, but I ended up feeling passive about the school.

For me, it was a real struggle between benefit and values. I know that being able to lead as a president is an opportunity and I will be learning many values of life. However, as I face with pressure from different faces, struggling with school work, I begin to ask the question of "benefit." "Do I really have to do it? Why me? What benefit will I again afterall? Isn't there are people more capable than me in the school?"

I took time going through these questions, and I push myself to the core of it. "Who are you, Victor? Who has brought you here? Who you are serving?" As I question my own belief system, this indeed was the darkest fear in my life. It is a question of principle of life. It really push me to the limit when I started the "WiFi" system in the school. I almost giving up and really wanted to throw all my credibility out of the window and shout to the school, "Please Don't Find Me Anymore!"

However, God was merciful. He took me into the desert, and let me learn the lesson of submission that is above "duty." He then put a conviction into my heart; "Serve people, Serve God." I realize how far I am from that verse simply commandment. It was really tough but God was not absent. He was there and he led me through the wilderness experience.

If you ask me, is there anything you feel proud of throughout this year in the student council? Yes, indeed there are! My team of committee help to organize events such as Graduation Salute (Party for graduates), BCM Day (Food and Fun Fair), Festival Celebration (e.g. Christmas), WiFi system in the dorm and protecting the welfare of the student body.

However, if you ask me if there is anything you feel regret after a year of service? Yes, there are also. I lost my first focus when I step into the leadership position. When I was elected as president, I told God that there is one thing I must do is to re-create the spiritual dynamic that was once experience in the early revivals of BCM. Students will be so earnestly praying everyday, there were signs and wonders, the school itself impacting the surrounding community. Sadly, after I ended my term, I realize what I did throughout the year has far from my initial goal. Nevertheless, God is good. He has prepare the next committee to take the student body to a higher level.

There is another thing that I felt kinda miserable, is that I have not changed my attitude of laziness. Frankly speaking, being a president, you will decide whether to be busy one or an easy one. The direction is on your hand, and you choose your own plan. I have not taken my responsibility well to motivate the team and charge them to move into another level. Here is what I need to further work on with my attitude, my laziness, my leadership capacity and my vistion casting skills.

Nevertheless, I really thanks my committee for their effort to make our journey a memorable one. This is one way you that makes you remember the school forever. It is through our laughter, our tears, our conflicts and our partnership that we will make this school, a place that is special in our heart. From the bottom of my heart, thank you M.F., L.T., L.C., R.K., D.S., and M.C. (I try not to put full name to avoid unnecessary issues, but you know who you are). I also would like to thank our advisor, F.T. for her patient and willingness to guide our committee throughout the year.

To those who are leading voluteers out there (or perhaps the new board of student council), remember who you are dealing with. You cannot use the leadership system in the world to lead volunteers and BCM students. I have no answer for it, but you need to find out what is their need for motivation. As a president for a year, I realize that we need to first know who we are leading, then only we can lead well. However, this does not means that you can't ask commitment from them, but rather the opposite of it. It is really an art to ask commitment from voluteer that will give them a sense of motivation or significant. Remember, Jesus is our highest model. Allow Jesus to teach you leadership in a way that you never think off.

No comments: